Monday, February 3, 2014

School lunch

Olivia did something BIG at school.  She bought her first lunch tray!  She has always wanted to buy a tray, but has been too nervous and shy to go through the lunch line at school.

She asked me about a lunch tray one night and said she was ready to buy one.  We looked at the lunch menu and she made her choice.  She then had me write out on a sticky note what she would select.  We read and reread the sticky note over and over again the night before.  She even asked me if I could meet her up at school to walk through the lunch line with her.  I did.  I wanted to show her that she can do things and to not be so afraid.

I met her at school, making sure I was at the cafeteria waiting for her so she would not worry and followed behind her as she grabbed her tray.  I praised her left and right as she quietly waited for the lunch lady to tell her it was okay to grab her cheeseburger, french fries, fruit and chocolate milk.

She was so nervous, but she did it!


The best news is she has bought her lunch again at school - all by herself!  She loves to buy lunch on days they serve french fries, mashed potatoes, broccoli, cheeseburgers, spaghetti, and cheese pizza.

Way to go Olivia!!

2 comments:

  1. Great job Olivia--I know all too well what it is like to be unsure of new things and of trying it on my own. Your mom is just like us..but so glad you are making such great strides--and all on your own!! So Proud of You...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Olivia!!! I am so proud of you! I know how hard it is to do new things. I get really scared just like you do. But once you do something that is hard for you, it gets a little easier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...